Living on Shaky Ground

By: Matthew Wright
Location: NF 551.22
Genre: Earthquakes in NZ

The science and story behind New Zealand’s earthquakes.

I will never forget that day- neither will my kids- they were all in it! My son was in the center of the city, he called me "Mum I have not seen a dead person yet- but I know I will soon" He was in the rescue crew at the CTV building within 20 minutes of the quake hitting.
The first quake was centered in Greendale, my taurangawaewae, the place of my buried ancestors.
This book has the photos, the reasons, the stories of those earthquakes and the many others that have shaken our isles. It is a wonderful book that leaves you shaken!

This book investigates our turbulent tectonics. It tells us how earthquakes are measured and described, and how scientists predict future shakes. It details New Zealand’s lesser-known quakes, quakes that have had deadly consequences, and the tremors that recently hit the lower North Island.

With gripping photographs, personal accounts, and diagrams from GNS Science, Living on Shaky Ground is a must-read for New Zealanders. We all need to know what’s happened in the past, the science behind it, and what’s next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

Where's Wally

A Disaster in Three Acts