Heartless

32179294By: Melissa Meyer
Location: FIC MEY
Genre:  Fantasy-Retelling

“When pleased, I beat like a drum. When sad, I break like glass. Once stolen, I can never be taken back. What am I?”
― Marissa Meyer, Heartless


A girl who has a talent for cooking magical confections that can alter a person's emotions catches the eye of the King of Hearts, who wants her for his bride. She will do anything to avoid this fate, particularly as she finds herself falling in love with the mysterious new court jester...

Heartless is an epic retelling of Alice in Wonderland, with the focus being on The Queen of Hearts.   Its hard to imagine Catherine, who just wanted to open a bakery and fall in love, would ever become the short-tempered, unpredictable Queen of Hearts we all know.
Old characters, like the Mad Hatter and the Cheshire Cat, appear with extra additions of Meyer's own invention

"I did not expect to enjoy Heartless as much as I did. I did not expect to warm up so much to this girl in the habit of dreaming too much, for whom hoping is an illness, for whom burying her hands in a ball of dough is the ultimate happiness. I warmed up to her so much my heart had got as cold as hers as the conclusion drew near, and by the end of it, it didn't even seem to be beating anymore.
I wonder if I will ever be able to claim it back."-

Simona Bartolotta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

Where's Wally

A Disaster in Three Acts