Everyone In My Family Has Killed Someone

 By: Benjamin Stevenson

Location; FIC STE

Genre: Mystery


Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle meet Knives Out and The Thursday Murder Club in this fiendishly clever blend of classic and modern murder mystery.

I was dreading the Cunningham family reunion even before the first murder.

Before the storm stranded us at the mountain resort, snow and bodies piling up.

The thing is, us Cunninghams don't really get along. We've only got one thing in common- we've all killed someone.

My brother.
My step-sister
My wife
My father
My mother
My sister-in-law
My uncle
My stepfather
My aunt
Me
 (less)


Great review by Mandy

So clever and fun!


It is no secret that I am a big fan of Benjamin Stevenson’s 2 previous books, Greenlights and Either Side of Midnight. I will tell anybody that will listen that they are must reads. Now I have a new book to add to that list.

How can you not be intrigued by a book called Everyone in my Family Has Killed Someone. Seriously, How good is that title!! I just had to read it so when Penguin Australia asked if I was interested in an ARC, I could not reply to that email fast enough. As soon as it arrived I had to start it.

You won’t have read a book like this one before. Our reliable (yes he is reliable and will keep telling you that!!) narrator is reluctantly attending a family reunion in the snowy mountains. As always with family, there are tensions and bad blood. He is a writer, known for his books on how to write books. He follows Robert Knox’ 10 Commandments of Detective Fiction. These are listed on the first few pages and referred to often. When the weekend turns deadly, he uses everything he knows to solve the case.

This book is really smart. How Benjamin Stevenson wrote this baffles me. So many threads and clues. It was so very well done and I applaud him. It is written in a conversational style, as if our budding detective was talking just to us.

There is so much that I loved about this book and I look forward to talking to people once they have read it. It will be interesting to read it again knowing how it ends now and find all the clues that I missed the first time.

A fantastic read and one that highly recommend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

Where's Wally

A Disaster in Three Acts