Radiate

By: Marley Gibson
Location: Fic GIB
Genre: Youth Fiction- Drama

This book came in a box of hopefuls, ones that I get to pick or discard. So I skim the box, make an initial cut, ask students what they think and then if I get a chance I sit and read portions of the book to see how well it reads. The cover of this book was a bit silly, and it was in the chop pile but this was a bad book- because as much as I wanted to stop reading it to skim the others I just could not- and then I ended up in tears and I was at work and my colleague laughed at me.
This is a story, a novel, but based on the authors own experiences, of teenage cancer. It is about a young woman who is a cheerleader, in THE team and then she is struck down with cancer in her leg. It is about courage, disappointment, family, God and even a romance! The thing is, it looks all fictiony, made up niceness- but in reality it IS Marley Gibson true story.  In our setting it would be like someone making Netball Open A team and then having to have surgery that might mean losing your leg.  I love the quotes at the beginning of each chapter and the title "Radiate" says it all. How someone faces death, and a life as a cripple and still shines! Great book despite the cover, maybe the saying is true.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

Where's Wally

A Disaster in Three Acts