Solitaire

By: Alice Oseman
Location: FIC OSE
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary



This book is a perfect example of YA fiction at its best: unflinchingly honest, funny, heartbreaking, gritty and touching.

In case you’re wondering, this is not a love story.

My name is Tori Spring. I like to sleep and I like to blog. Last year – before all that stuff with Charlie and before I had to face the harsh realities of A-Levels and university applications and the fact that one day I really will have to start talking to people – I had friends. Things were very different, I guess, but that’s all over now.

Now there’s Solitaire. And Michael Holden.

I don’t know what Solitaire are trying to do, and I don’t care about Michael Holden.

I really don’t.

This incredible debut novel by outstanding young author Alice Oseman is perfect for fans of John Green, Rainbow Rowell and all unflinchingly honest writers.


"This book is one of the most honest I have ever read. The protagonist is an opinionated teenage girl, who hates Pride and Prejudice and doesn't like reading, yet studies English Lit. She spends her time blogging and doesn't really like her friends at school. When her school comes under attack by internet pranksters, she is pulled out of her comfort zone, and has to face up to real life. The writing is real and the emotions of the characters perfectly portray what it feels like as a teenager, to hate everyone around you and love them at the same time. A really lovely, emotional book"  
Reviewed by Lauren James

"In the swirly wallpaper of my room, stooped yellow figures creep back and forth and back and forth until I'm hypnotized. In my bed someone has placed an enormous glass cage on top of me and the air is slowly stewing sour. In my dreams I'm running around in circles atop a cliff, but there's a boy in a red hat catching me every time I try to jump off" (Alice Oseman)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

Where's Wally

A Disaster in Three Acts