She's Not Your Average Damsel In Distress

 By: Karen Cushman

Location: FIC CUS

Genre:  Historical Fiction. Medieval


Now an Amazon Prime movie, written and directed by Lean Dunham, the creator of Girls.

Shaggy Beard wishes to take me to wife! What a monstrous joke. That dog assassin whose breath smells like the mouth of Hell, who makes wind like others make music, who is so ugly and old!

Catherine’s in trouble. Caught between a mother who is determined to turn her into the perfect medieval lady and a father who wants her to marry her off to much older and utterly repulsive suitor. Luckily, Catherine has a plan. She has experience outwitting suitors and is ready to take matters into her own hands.

A fun and vibrant coming-of-age novel about a 14-year-old girl’s fight for freedom and right to self-determination.

I won't be able to read another book for a while. I'm ruined.

This book boasts a delightful heroine, and in spite of the (wonderful!) medieval setting, all the angst and rebellion and other feelings I had in my own adolescence came spilling out of the pages. Kids are kids, no matter when or where.

I loved the characters (the goat boy, the dairy maid, the brothers, the uncle, the best friend!), the hilarious diary entries, the main character's love of animals (from ants to sad, dancing bears!), and the descriptions of medieval life. So fun! And nerve-wracking, too, with the horrible old husband-to-be lurking on the horizon.

Now I guess I'll go find some cleaning to do, or perhaps organize my toiletries or mend a pair of tights. Because I'm scared the next book won't be, can't be, this enticing. Review by Wanderer

Shaggy Beard wishes to take me to wife! What a monstrous joke. That dog assassin wow breath smells like the mouth of Hell, who makes wind like others make music, who is so ugly and old!

Corpus bones, I must make a plan. Luckily I am experienced at outwitting suitors . . .

Catherine's in trouble. her father is trying to marry her off to disgusting old Shaggy Beard, and her mother's determined to turn her into the perfect medieval lady. Will either of them succeed? Not if Catherine has anything to do with it!

Catherine, Called Birdy is Karen Cushman's funny and poignant novel about a 14-year-old girl's fight for freedom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

Where's Wally

A Disaster in Three Acts