Not If I See You First

By: Eric Lindstrom
Location: FIC LIN
Genre:  Contemporary Youth Fiction

Another awesome cover- with braille on it!


The Rules: 

Don't deceive me. Ever. Especially using my blindness. Especially in public.

Don't help me unless I ask. Otherwise you're just getting in my way or bothering me.

Don't be weird. Seriously, other than having my eyes closed all the time, I'm just like you only smarter.

Don't talk extra loud to me. I'm not deaf

 and 7 other rules- 

I hung out with a blind man once, I could not figure out why he worked in the office with lights off, until it dawned on me. And it would always make me smile when he said "See Ya Later". I guess the rules of Parker would have been helpful to read back then. When you read this book I reckon you should keep a bookmark in Chapter 3 where her rules are stated!

Parker Grant might be blind, but don't you dare underestimate her. Independent, brutally honest, and confident, she prides herself on her ability to take whatever life throws at her and carry on. Finding out that Scott- the boy who so cruelly betrayed her years earlier- has just transferred into her school only causes her a momentary pause. If she can stay strong after losing her father only three months ago, then dealing with Scott should be nothing. Right?
Parker is a realistically flawed and compelling character who just happens to be blind. That is not the whole of her existence, and Lindstrom never cheapens his story in that manner. I was completely drawn in as Parker navigated the changes in her home life and her school, as she finally mourned her father, as she re-found her joy in running, as she opened her heart to friends and family, as she finally looked past her own interests and troubles and saw the world from others' eyes. I enjoyed every page- this is a gem of a book says Sharon of Goodreads.com



"One of the unexpected side effects of Parker going blind, was how she got less and less sensible about what she said to people, because she couldn't see them flinch."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

A Disaster in Three Acts

Where's Wally