La Rochelle's Road



By: Tanya Moir


Genre: Historical NZ Fiction


Location: FIC MOI



Historical fiction is one of my favourite genres, Canterbury is my favourite place and I love Banks Peninsula. My family have a bach there and last time I went to Akaroa I foraged around all the historical sites and the Onuku Marae- so when this book came out- set on Banks Peninsula during its settling years- it became a must read.

1866 Daniel Peterson and his family leave London to go to a farm in the peninsula- they are at the mercy of the land, the weather and the neighbours- a motley, suspicious assortment of old whalers, escaped convicts, wary french settlers. Then Daniels daughter discovers a secret- a hidden diary that tells of the scandalous Etienne La Rochelle and his Maori lover...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

Where's Wally

A Disaster in Three Acts