Confessions of a High School Disaster

29220723By: Emma Chastian
Location: FIC CHA
Genre:Young Adult Contemporary





In the tradition of Bridget Jones’s Diary, a lovably flawed high school student chronicles her life as she navigates the highs and lows of family, friendship, school, and love in a diary that sparkles with humor and warmth.

 I’m Chloe Snow, and my life is kiiiiind of a disaster.
  •  My best friend, Hannah, is driving me insane.
  •  I think I’m in love with Mac Brody, senior football star, whose girlfriend is so beautiful she doesn’t even need eyeliner.
  •  My dad won’t stop asking me if I’m okay.
  •  Oh, and my mom moved to Mexico to work on her novel. But it’s fine—she’ll be back soon. She said so.

Mom says the only thing sadder than remembering is forgetting, so I’m going to write down everything that happens to me in this diary. That way, even when I’m ninety, I’ll remember how awkward and horrible and exciting it is to be in high school


"This book is hilarious and charming and I enjoyed every page. Chloe is, for me, a perfect funny contemp narrator: delightfully (lightly) bitchy, sharply observant in ways that felt both deeply, wonderfully specific and true to the character and her age, and possessing the kind of shoulders-back confidence I would've killed for as a kid and loooved living vicariously through on the page.

This book is just so damned fun to read. Among the things Chastain nails are theater kid culture, teen boredom, the way popular high school boys flirt, and Chloe's villainous mom, who is terrible in the most pitch-perfect way: she's a wannabe novelist, and Chastain infuses her airy emails with the woman's comic attempts at "writerly" prose. Every page has a funny or totally right observation that made me like, "YES, THAT."" Melissa
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

Where's Wally

A Disaster in Three Acts