The Miracle Stealer

By: Neil Connelly
Location: FIC CON
Genre: Faith and family

This is a BRAVE BOOK.  It deals with miracles, faith and God. Authors run from these topics as a genre for Youth Fiction. It is easier to write about angels and vampires. Less disturbing to the soul and to any form of self reflection. But this book faces up to how faith impacts people, families and how it can be used, misused and corrupted.
Daniel has a gift, it is the gift of healing, and people come to him begging for miracles, they want him to pray for them. Daniels sister- Andi, hates the manipulation, hates how is mother is misusing Daniels gift, is angry with God, angry her dad left. She wants her brothers exploitation to stop.  She wants to protect Daniel from what she calls  Holy Roller Nutjobs. So she devises a plan, an anti miracle plan, problem is the plan goes wrong and Andi is left wondering...
I think I can be bold here and say that I believe in miracles, I believe in God, but I have also seen the power that the abuse of faith has, I have seen people destroyed by something that should give hope and meaning. This book throws those two things in the balance. I wonder if Connelly get the balance right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

Where's Wally

A Disaster in Three Acts