Eleanor Roosevelt

By: Kem Knapp Sawyer
Location: NF 920 SAW
Genre: Biography

IT IS BETTER TO LIGHT A FIRE THAN CURSE THE DARKNESS.

Yes the wise sayings of America's most famous first lady. I have this quote emblazoned on my office wall. This book published by DK has over 100 photos', artworks and great little sidebars with snippets of interesting facts and information.
Eleanor was bought up in real privileged conditions, yet I was surprised as I read this, she had a childhood of pain and sadness as well. I often think that sad events in a child's life can take them two ways, to brokenness or to courage. For Eleanor- it was courage- she became a voice for the dispossessed, the poor, for woman and  for minorities. She spoke words many years ahead of her time because they came from a heart of justice. In many ways to me- she is one of America's greatest and surpasses her husband Franklin in mana and regard.
This is a story of a great woman, one to whom I aspire and as I do what I do in my world, I take heed of her sage advice: Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

Where's Wally

A Disaster in Three Acts